The WD MyNet N900 Central is unit worth considering, especially for users who do not already have a network storage solution in their house or small office. 2 TB is a considerable backup space for most users, and the unit’s ability to serve up to DLNA-certified players such as the Playstation 3 and some Roku devices is definitely a selling point to the media playback crowd.
Folks who like to tweak performance and use their router as a more expensive, enterprise level router might want to steer clear of this unit. No alternative firmwares exist yet. However, I think many folks in this category of users are likely to have a NAS solution in place.
The price is steep. It’s ~$240 at our favorite online retailer. Its reviews there are not positive, with one exception. At this price and for what it offers, it may be more cost-effective to seek a more performant unit and use an external 2 TB drive. ThinkComputers gives the WD My Net N900 Central a 7 out of 10 score.
- 2 TB internal hard drive!
- Compact design
- Simple setup
- Performance could be better
- Control panel is easy to use, but a little clunky and its color scheme hurts eyes in some lighting conditions
- Expensive for what it is, other than having a 2 TB hard drive inside
- Stability issues when transferring files?