Cooling PC system memory modules definitely isn’t a new idea, but surely there is room for improvement. The earliest idea was actually a mod, placing a fan in the case directed towards the modules, which had bare chips at the time. Next came the heat spreader, which increased the surface area of the memory chips. This helped, but without a lot of airflow in that area of the case, its effectiveness is limited, and for real cooling, that fan is still needed. Later came variations on the heat spreader, such as OCZ’s XTC (Xtreme Thermal Convection), which allowed for more airflow in the heat spreader itself. A great idea, but again, of limited help in a case without any airflow around the memory modules.
Then we had extreme variations on the passive memory cooling idea, such as Corsair’s DHX heat spreaders, which not only adds pinfins to a pair of heat spreaders, but also finned heatsinks on the PCBs. OCZ’s Reaper and ReaperX add heatpipes and fins to the mix. Thermaltake’s Spirit RS adds the capability of heatpipe cooling to any memory modules.
But again, all of these are totally passive cooling solutions. Corsair now has an optional fan with their DHX modules, and a few other companies have mountable fans for directing cooling air towards the modules. Thermaltake actually has two concepts towards that idea, the AM Memory cooler and the Cyclo. We’re basically back to the original mod idea, instead using fans designed specifically for the purpose.
Our friends at Thermaltake have taken a truly active approach to memory cooling. (pardon the pun) They have taken their Orb heatpipe cooling idea, placed it on some heat spreaders, and created actual active memory cooling. Read on to check out Tt’s RamOrb!
- Dimensions: 155(L) x 17(W) x 105(H) mm
- Heat Spreader: Aluminum
- Thermal Module: 6mm Heatpipe & Copper Fin
- Fan Dimensions: 50 x 50 x 10 mm
- Fan Speed: 4500 RPM LED Fan
- Max. Air Flow: 8.18 CFM
- Max. Air Pressure: 1.67 mmH2O
- Noise Level: 20 dBA
- Power Connector: 4-Pin Molex
- Rated Voltage: 12 V
- Started Voltage: 8 V
- MTBF: 50,000 Hrs
- Compatibility: DDR, DDR2 RAM
- Weight: 136 g
- Orb series inspired memory cooler with single channel heatpipe cooling architecture
- Superb thermal module, 5cm fan with copper heatpipe penetrating copper fins, allows for extreme thermal conductivity
- Aluminum extruded heat spreader provides additional heat dissipating surface area
- Angle adjustable design to maximize mechanical compatibility
The RamOrb comes in a hanging box in Thermaltake’s usual black. The contents inside are in a blisterpack.