Author: Nik Parenti
I know every review out there is going to say the same cheesy line but I refuse to do it. I REFUSE! The moment I received word that I was going to review the “most comfortable gaming headset ever” and then saw the name of the product I couldn’t resist thinking it. I have morals and putting it in writing, it’s just not going to happen. Nope. Nope. I will not!
Okay, maybe I will… This fine day at ThinkComputers I’m about to RELEASE THE KRAKEN (Pro) and showcase a new headset by one of the most renowned PC peripherals makers currently on the market.
The Kraken Pro Analog Gaming Headset was a product that I received after competing in the annual Tiger Direct PC Race. Only after the event was over and all the hoopla from CES calmed down did we decide that the Kraken Pro was one of the products we received that we legitimately wanted to review.
Razer has a history of making wild claims regarding PC products, i.e. The Razer Blade: The World’s First Gaming Laptop or the Razer Edge Pro: The World’s First Gaming Tablet but with the Kraken Pro they are making a claim based on one of the most subjective topics in product reviews…comfort. The Kraken Pro has a lot to live up to, especially when you make a claim like that, so let’s see how it holds up.
Razer has some of the cleanest packaging in the business. They don’t try to hide the product so you hopefully know what you’re getting. One side of the packaging is clear so you can see the headset and the other side it thick black cardboard with all the product information written on it.
The cardboard section showcases information on the back and side of the package. The information read about the features and tech specs of the Kraken Pro.
- Optimized weight for extended wear
- Fully retractable microphone
- Powerful drivers and sound isolation for highest-quality gaming audio
- Frequency Response: 20 – 20,000 Hz
- Impedance: 32 Ω at 1kHz
- Sensitivity (@1kHz, 1V/Pa): 110 ± 4dB at 1 kHz Max
- Input Power: 50 mW
- Drivers: 40 mm, with Neodymium Magnets
- Inner Ear Cup Diameter: 50 mm / 1.97”
- Cable Length: 1.3 m / 4.27 ft plus 2m / 6.6 ft splitter adapter
- Approximate Weight: 293 g / 0.65 lbs
- Connector: Analog 3.5 mm combined jack (headphone and mic)
- Frequency Response: 100 – 10,000 Hz
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 52 dB
- Sensitivity (@1kHz, 1V/Pa): -40 ± 3dB
- Pick-up Pattern: Unidirectional
Once removed from the packaging you’ll have a couple things in front of you. Beyond the headset you’ll receive a nice Razer sticker, the “Cult” notification, and a small user’s guide for the Kraken Pro.
For a full unboxing of the Kraken Pro check out our video below.