Setup & Testing Procedures
Technically this is a 256GB drive, but it is marketed as a 240GB drive as 16GB is used for provisioning, garbage collection and block collection. Once you get the drive installed and formatted it comes out to about 223GB of usable space.
Opening up CrystalDiskInfo we can see all of the information about the drive. As you can see it supports S.M.A.R.T., NCQ and most importantly TRIM.
For testing the drive we will be using the following benchmarking programs, we have provided links to each so you can run the benchmarks as well.
– HDTune Pro (download)
– Sandra Physical Disks Benchmark (download)
– ATTO Disk Benchmark (download)
– CrystalDiskMark 64bit (download)
– AS SSD Benchmark (download)
– Anvil Storage Utility Professional (download)
We also made these optimization changes…
– No power saving options in the BIOS
– ACHI enabled in the BIOS
– Windows 7 User Account Control (UAC) is disabled
– Windows 7 power saving settings are disabled
For comparison we will be testing the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G drive against these other solid state drives.
Now let’s get to testing!