LED backlit LCD's are something that we are just starting to see come into the consumer market. A lot of new notebook LCD's are LED backlit, but you really do not see that many desktop LCD's that are LED backlit. Mainly because producing a LED backlit LCD is 2-2x as expensive as producing the normal CCFL backlit LCD's. Today we will be looking at the VLED221wm 22-inch display from ViewSonic, which is the world's first sub $1000 LED backlit LCD, which will allow for most people to get their hands on it. It features an impressive 12000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and ability to represent 118% of the NTSC color gamut, which will provide great color reproduction. Let's see what the VLED221wm is all about.
- OptiColor Technology
- Fast ClearMotiv video response
- 12000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (typ)
- Stylish slim-bezel design
- OnView controls for superior screen adjustability
- OptiSync digital/analog inputs expand your connectivity
- SRS WOW HD sound
- PC and Mac compatible
- Certified for Windows Vista
- Energy Star ENERGY STAR qualified
Type: 22" Wide color TFT active matrix LCD Display Area: 18.7" horizontal x 11.7" vertical; 22" diagonal Optimum Resolution: 1680x1050 Brightness: 250 cd/m2 (typ) Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 static (typ), 12000:1 dynamic (typ) Viewing Angle: 170 horizontal, 160 vertical @ contrast ratio > 10:1 Response Time: 5ms (typ) Light Source: Long life, 30,000 hrs. (min) Panel Surface: Anti-glare Connector: Analog/Digital 15-pin mini D-sub/DVI-D (with HDCP) Power: 3-pin AC plug (CEE22) Speakers: 2x2.5-watt Dimensions:
- Physical with stand: 20.6" x 18.9" x 9.6" (5524mm x 482mm x 244mm)
- Physical without stand: 20.6" x 15.3" x 2.3" (524mm x 388mm x 64mm) Warranty: Three-year limited warranty on parts, labor and backlight.
The VLED221wm comes in the typical ViewSonic LCD packaging, nothing special here. There is a list of features on the back of the box.
The box opens up and we find the LCD inside without the stand installed. It is nicely protected with Styrofoam and plastic. When you get the LCD out of the packaging the entire bezel is covered in plastic to protect it from scratches. Also included with the LCD is a VGA cable, DVI cable, power cable, audio cable and installation guide and software CD.