Network-Attached Storage (NAS) is a growing market. As the price of hard drives falls, the affordability of storage for home and small business users increases. Manufacturers such as Synology are producing devices that support a variety of protocols and expansion options. Synology's DS207+ supports two hard drives in RAID0 or RAID1, with the extensibility of three USB and one eSATA port for even more storage. ThinkComputers looks at the Synology DS207+ NAS device in this review.
Features & Specifications
- CPU Clock Rate: 500 MHz
- RAM Size: 128MB
- Internal HDD: 3.5" SATA(II) X2
- External HDD Interface: USB 2.0 port X3, eSATA port X1
- Size: 160mm X 218mm X 88mm
- Weight: 0.98kg
- LAN: Gigabit X1
- Fan: X1(60mmX60mm)
- Power Recovery
- AC Input Power Voltage: 100V to 240V
- Power Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, Single Phase
- Max Capacity (Internal HDD): 2 TB (See Supported HDD)
- Operating Temperature: 50 to 95øF (10 to 35C)
- Storage Temperature: -40 to 185øF (-10 to 70C)
- Relative Humidity: 5% to 95%RH
- Maximum Operating Altitude: 10,000 feet
Power Consumption: 52.2W(Spin); 32.76W(Access); 28.32W(Idle); 11.04W(Hibernation)
Networking Protocols: CIFS, AFP (3.1), FTP
Windows ADS Domain Integration: ADS/ NT4 Support, Domain users login via Samba/AFP/FTP, Synology Data Replicator II for Domain Users
File System: EXT3, FAT (External Disk Only), NTFS (External Disk Read Only)
- File Station
- Audio Station
- Photo Station 2 + video
- Web Station
- Download Station
- iTunes Server
- Volume Type: Non-RAID, RAID 0, RAID 1
- Upgrade Non-RAID to RAID 1
- Expand RAID 1 with Larger Hard Drives
- Volume Auto-rebuild after abnormal power failure
Supported Clients: Windows 98 and Newer, Mac OS 9 and Newer
Supported Printer Protocols: LPR, CIFS, AppleTalk
- North and South America: English, Spanish.
- All Other Countries: English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Korean, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese.
The Synology DS-207+ comes in a sizable white box with a convenient handle on the top. The sides of the box taut the unit's features, such as network backup, internal RAID1, and support of FTP, CIFS, and AFP protocols.
The unit is bundled quite tightly inside a series of smaller cardboard boxes and packaging. Inside the box is the DS-207+ unit, a bag of SATA and power cables, a bag of screws, a power cord, and network cable, a CD, and instructions. The instructions are in a variety of languages, including English, German, and Japanese.