I am not as impressed with this latest version of the LapCool as I was with the previous versions. The compromise of the USB hub and additional necessity features for the design choice to make the cooler much more mobile and run completely off of USB power does not make up for the loss of the often-used features. This design is much more slim and mobile and the cooling performance lives up to the capabilities of the original LapCool at a much quieter operation. Although there is no USB hub, the ability to power the unit entirely from a USB port is extremely helpful in mobile situations where electrical power is not present.
If you are looking for mobility and portability, this would be the notebook cooler to choose. Although its plastic build is prone to breaking, it is considerably durable and can still operate perfectly even internal breaks. If you are looking for a powerful and reliable cooler for a high end / gaming notebook, the LapCool 3 is not a wise decision as it truly lacks the features and durability to work well with the higher end of notebooks. ThinkComputers.org gives the Vantec LapCool 3 Notebook Cooler a 6 out of 10.
Discuss in Forums ---->
- Powered via USB, no need for an electrical adapter and can run from the notebook’s battery.
- Light-weight and highly mobile.
- Quiet operation with good cooling performance.
- Uses one USB port from the limited number available on a laptop (and doesn’t expand any in return, e.g. a USB hub).
- No USB hub.
- Air intake in the rear where most notebooks exhaust hot air.
- Built with plastic for lighter weight but much more prone to breaking and warping.
- Lacks features and size to handle high end / gaming notebook computers.