With all of the SATA 6GB/s drives coming out this year we have really pushed the limits of solid state drives. Most of the solid state drives we have tested max out at about 550MB/s. We are not going to see a SATA-connected drive go much faster than that until the next revision of SATA, which will not come for a while. So if you want to get faster speeds you will either need to RAID your drives or choose a different interface. OCZ has been at the forefront of PCI-E solid state drive development with the RevoDrive series. Now on its third version of the drive it is powered by the latest SandForce controller and boasts speed of 1000MB/s read and 900MB/s write! Let’s take a look at the 240GB version of the drive.
Specifications & Features
– Available in 120GB, 240GB and 480GB capacities
– PCI-Express Gen. 2 x4 interface
– MLC NAND flash
– Full height form factor
– OCZ SuperScale Storage Controller
– Virtualized Controller Architecture 2.0
– Bootable as a direct-attach device
– 128-bit & 256-bit AES-compliant data encryption
– SMART monitoring
– 167.64 (L) x 98.42 (W) x 15.25mm (H)
– Weight: 114g
– Shock Resistance: 1500g
– Operating Temp: 0°C ~ 70°C
– Ambient Temp: 0°C ~ 55°C
– Storage Temp: -45°C ~ 85°C
– Power Consumption: 7.5W idle, 8.3W active
– MTBF: 1,000,000 hours
– 3-Year Warranty
– Current OS Supported: Windows 7 32/64
The RevoDrive 3 comes in OCZ’s retail packaging, which has pretty much been the same since the first RevoDrive. On the front of the drive there is a little bit of information about the drive and a photo. On the back there is even more information and a sticker letting us know the drive is the 240GB version.
To give you a good idea of how the RevoDrive 3 comes and what all you get check out our unboxing video below.