External hard drive enclosures are very common these days, especially with large file sizes of HD movies and other content. A single-drive external hard drive enclosure works for most people, but people who want to protect their data and want faster speeds opt for a dual hard drive enclosure with RAID capabilities. Today we will be looking at one such enclosure from ICY DOCK called the MB662US-2S, which features RAID 0, RAID 1, BIG, and JBOD configurations. Let’s see if this is the perfect external enclosure for you.
Special thanks to ICY DOCK for providing us with the MB662US-2S External RAID Dual Hard Drive Enclosure to review.
– MB662 Series fits 2x 3.5” SATA I/II hard drives for maximum storage.
– Plug & Play USB 2.0 + eSATA with Silicon Image 5744 chipset for versatile connectivity.
– Built-in hardware RAID controller allows six different RAID configurations:
–RAID 0 (FAST), RAID 1 (SAFE), BIG, JBOD, SAFE 33, SAFE 50
– No additional software and hardware required for RAID capabilities.
– User friendly Screw-less design just plug in the hard drive and play.
– 40 mm cooling fan with adjustable speed control.
– Multi-drive exchangeability & maintenance capabilities.
– Built with Solid Aluminum Construction for body.
– Built in security slot for security cable kit.
– Compatible for both Windows and Mac.
|Item Number: Pearl White||MB662US-2S|
|Host Interface||1x USB2.0 + 1x eSATA (Port Multiplier)|
|Drive Fit||2 x 3.5” SATA I / II|
|Chipset||Silicon Image 5744|
|Drive Type||Standalone with horizontal or vertical positioning|
|Transfer Rate||Up to 480 Mb/sec. via USB2.0
Up to 3 Gb/sec. via eSATA
|Insert & Extract connection Via||15 pin direct hard drive connection|
|RAID Modes||RAID1(SAFE), SAFE33, SAFE50, RAID0 (FAST), BIG & JBOD|
|RAID Setting||DIP Switch 3 Port|
|Structure||Aluminum body w/ partial plastic|
|Drive Cooling||Quiet Cooling Fan w/ Adjustable fan speed VR control
Aluminum body heat dispersion
|Indication||Mini LED located on front panel|
|HDD Idling Indication||Blue LED|
|HDD Access Indication||Flashing Purple LED|
|No HDD in Position Indication||LED blinking in Blue & Red|
|HDD Failure Indication||LED blinking in Blue & Red|
|Rebuilding Indication||Flashing Purple LED (Source Drive)|
|LED blinking in Red & Purple (Target Drive)|
|Rebuilding Verifying Indication||Blue LED (Source Drive)|
|Purple LED (Target Drive)|
|OS Requirement||Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP/VISTA ; Mac OS 9.0 or higher|
|Dimension (L x W x H)||8.1 x 5.3 x 2.4 in|
ICY DOCK usually always does a great job with their packaging and the packaging on the MB662US-2S is no different. On the front there are a couple pictures of the enclosure and on the back there is a specifications listing.
Opening the box up everything inside is nicely protected with large pieces of Styrofoam. Inside we find the MB662US-2S enclosure, power adapter, power cable, eSATA cable, USB cable, and a user’s guide.
Sep 03, 2015 0
Sep 03, 2015 0
Sep 02, 2015 0
Sep 03, 2015 0