The mini-ITX form factor is becoming extremely popular with gamers who will be using a single graphics card because it allows them to build a system with premium components that is small and easy enough to take with them to LAN parties or other events. The problem with mini-ITX motherboards has been that they lack many features that their larger ATX counterparts offer. Well Gigabyte is changing that with their Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard that has all of the features you would want in a full-size ATX motherboard, but in the tiny mini-ITX form factor. Gigabyte was able to pack in Killer E2200 gaming networking, Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 support, a PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 slot, two USB 3.1 ports (1x Type-C, 1x Type-A), and even 802.11ac dual band wireless. Gigabyte wants this to be the perfect board for gamers building in the mini-ITX form factor. Is it? Let’s take a look and find out!
– Supports 6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor
– Dual Channel DDR4, 2 DIMMs
– Intel® USB 3.1 with USB Type-C™ – The World’s Next Universal Connector
– 11ac 867 Mbps dual band wireless connection + BLUETOOTH 4.2
– Exclusive Ultra Durable Metal Shielding over the PCIe Slot
– PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connector with up to 32Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe NVMe & SATA SSD support)
– 2 SATA Express Connectors for up to 16Gb/s Data Transfer
– 115dB SNR HD Audio with Built-in Rear Audio Amplifier
– Killer™ E2200 Gaming Networks
– High Quality Audio Capacitors and Audio Noise Guard with LED Trace Path Lighting
– APP Center Including EasyTune™ and Cloud Station™ Utilities
– GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™ Technology
For full detail on all of the features and specifications please visit the product page.
The Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 comes in a box that is not much larger than the motherboard itself. On the front it lets us know some of its main features and has a character from Blizzard’s Heroes of the Storm. Gigabyte is the exclusive motherboard partner of Blizzcon.
Moving around to the back of the box many of the features are detailed and there is an overview of the rear I/O ports, which is a good thing to know before you are buying a motherboard.
As far as accessories go for the Z170N-Gaming 5 you have 2 SATA cables, your WiFi antenna, I/O shield, Heroes of the Storm door hanger, software and drivers installation CDs, G1 gaming sticker, multilingual installation guide, and a user’s manual.
For a full unboxing & overview of the Z170N-Gaming 5 be sure to check out our video below.