Today we are looking at a pair of 140mm fans, the Silent Wings 2 from a company that seems to be too good at their name: be quiet!. Yes that is be quiet, with an exclamation point, and if you are like me this is probably the first time you have ever heard of them. Looking at their website, they certainly have a fairly full product line. The problem seems to be that none of it is for sale outside of Germany. With claims of near silent operation, it’s time to find out if they can actually live up to their namesake.
– Virtually Silent Operation
– SilentWings® 2 fans include a wide array of electronic and mechanical optimizations for superior air flow with very low noise production
- Unique airflow-optimized fan blade design reduces noise-generating fan turbulence
- Advanced fluid dynamic bearing providing for greatly reduced operating noise
- Improved modular vibration damping mounts and rubberized frame help prevent transmission of vibration to computer case and its components
- Option for direct hard mount when preferred
- Advanced high quality IC motor controller reduces electrical noise
- Advanced fluid dynamic bearing (FDB) with industrial grade lubricant eliminates direct contact between rotor and frame, resulting in extremely low noise levels
- The FDB has a copper core that conducts heat away from the bearing more effectively, enabling super-long fan life of up to 300,000 hours
- Dynamically balanced fan blades enhance reliability and result in maximum operating silence
- German product conception, design and quality control
– Outstanding Service and Support
- 3 year manufacturer’s warranty
The Silent Wings 2 come in a very nice, simplistic, matte black box with grey and orange accents. The front of the box shows you a picture of the fans, a bit of information about them, and their target speed.
Then Like a lot of high end fans and coincidentally, Lego kits, you can open the front cover of the box to see the fan itself and the the mounting pieces behind a clear bit of plastic. On the backside of the cover, be quiet! has included some technical information about the function of the fans.
Lastly the back of the box contains one final reiteration of the key features and a chart with the technical specifications.
Inside you will of course find a single Silent Wings 2 fan, and be quiets! unique mounting system. The mounting system includes two styles of mounts and both fan screws and push pins for attaching them to your case. Also included is a molex splitter with 5/7/12V connections for dropping the fans speed to your desired operating level. Thankfully included is a manual for installing your fans using the different mounting methods.