Author: Colin Dean
Not all wireless routers are equal. Every wireless router can shuffle bits back and forth between the Internet, the local wired network, and the local wireless network. Some routers are faster than others, and that’s to be expected. However, there is another class of wireless router that offers more than the standard feature set. The ASUS RT-N66U Dual-band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router is one such hot rod. Featuring among other things dual USB2 ports and 450 Mbps wireless transfers and the ability to create eight wireless networks, the RT-N66U is a great device for folks who want their always-on device to do more than just shuffle bits. Read on for the review.
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions for Strong Signal Strength and Ultra-Fast Connection Rates up to 900Mbps
- ASUS AiCloud service: Access, stream, share, sync – all on the go with unlimited storage expansion!
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports for the Fastest, Most Reliable Internet Performance
- Download Master for Wireless Data Storage and Access to Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
- Expanded Wireless Coverage with Detachable High-Powered Antennas
- File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and 3G Sharing via Two Multi-Functional Built-in USB Ports
- ASUSWRT Dashboard UI for Easy Setup, Signal Monitoring, and Network Application Control
The box is primary block with a picture of the router device itself on the front. There are also pseudo-logos for 450 Mbps wireless, USB ports, eight SSIDs, parental controls, and download tools. The requisite WiFi logo is also present, showing that the unit works with 802.11a/b/g/n devices.
The back of the box shows the veritable cornucopia of features, from connectivity, to sharing, to ease of use, to security, to aesthetics, to even a shot of the motherboard inside the unit.
The unit is of course well-packaged in its box. Included is the RT-N66U itself, plus a stand, three antennae, an AC adapter, an Ethernet cable, an installation CD, and some documentation.
To give you a better idea of how the RT-N66U comes and for a brief overview check out our video below.