Antec, a name that is well known and trusted by computer enthusiasts around the world. They have been designing and manufacturing top notch power supplies, enclosures, and cooling accessories for almost 25 years. I have built numerous computers using their products over the years and have always been satisfied, and at times, impressed by them. Today we are looking at one of their latest entries into the computer enclosure market and the newest member of the Lanboy famly of products, the Lanboy Air Blue.
Before we get into the details, we need to take a good hard look at the overall design of this case because trust me, it is like no other case you have ever seen. It is modular and customizable. What does that mean? It means that pretty much every piece can be removed and repositioned to give you somewhere in the area of 35 trillion different ways to configure the case. Yes, I said trillion. That is a very big number.
As you will see, the Lanboy Air gets its name from the fact that the outside of the case is basically a collection of mesh panels and all the fans mounted in it, it comes with 5 but you can put an additional 10, are intake fans. So you will have to unlearn what you know about case layout and design when dealing with this case. You will need to, as they say, think outside the box. Way outside.
Features & Specifications
On paper, the specifications of the Lanboy Air aren’t really all that impressive. This is because words simply can’t convey what makes this case different. Here is what Antec lists as their specifications for the case:
- Fully-modular chassis
- Open-frame mesh panel construction
- AirMount™ HDD suspension mount system for up to 6 HDDs
- Maximum CPU cooler height: 150 mm with optional side fan installed, 160 mm without
- 11 drive bays:
– 6 x internal 3.5″ HDDs
– 3 x external 5.25″ HDDs
– 2 x internal bottom-mounted 2.5″ SSD bay
- Advanced cooling system – up to 15 fans
– 2 x front variable-speed 120 mm blue LED fans with stepless control knobs
– 1 x rear 120 mm TwoCool™ blue LED fan
– 2 x side 120 mm TwoCool™ blue LED fans for graphics cards cooling
– 2 x 120 mm fan for CPU and memory cooling
– 6 x 120 mm side drive bay fan
– 2 x 120 mm top fan
Water cooling support:
– Top water cooling radiator fitting
– Rear water cooling grommets
- 8 expansion slots for triple graphics-card configurations
- Maximum graphics card size: 16″ / 406 mm
- Front ports:
– 1 x USB 3.0
– 2 x USB 2.0
– Audio (ACE7 and HDA compatible) In and Out
- Motherboards: Mini-ITX, microATX, Standard ATX
- Power supply not included
- Unit Dimensions:
– 20.4″ (H) x 8.7″ (W) x 19.3″ (D)
– 518 mm (H) x 222 mm (W) x 4906 mm (D)
- Package Dimensions:
– 23.2″ (H) x 11.3″ (W) x 22.8″ (D)
– 590 mm (H) x 288 mm (W) x 580 mm (D)
– Net: 20.3 lb / 9.2 kg
– Gross: 24 lb / 11 kg
The key things that jump out at you when looking at these specifications are 11 drive bays, the AirMount system, 15 fans, and the USB 3.0 from port. Also, the fact that the entire case is mesh, hence the “Air” part in the title.
The Lanboy Air arrived, as you might guess, in a big box with the typical artwork, specifications, and other marketing information on the sides.
The case was well secured inside with the typical Styrofoam inserts and covered with a plastic bag. One thing I did note is that nothing at all rattled in the box, not a single screw.